Find out about how the ARTEXPRESS exhibtion is created and curated every year.
Inside ARTEXPRESS CD-ROM - A CDROM exploring how ARTEXPRESS happens
Recently, a high school Visual Arts teacher described ARTEXPRESS as something of an enigma.
Lauren Broos's observation sums up a common response to ARTEXPRESS. Each year spirits run high in anticipation of this major exhibition. There are disappointments as students discover their work was not selected, elation for those who make it to exhibition, and a burning desire by students, teachers and the general public to visit these outstanding exhibitions.
Similar questions come up each year. Why was this work selected? How do we select a range of expressive forms for exhibition? Where do these works go after they are marked? Who selects them? Who puts these exhibitions together? Are schools fairly represented in terms of district, government and non-government?
Dip into the facts and figures, history, process, and frequently asked questions to gain an insight behind the scenes of ARTEXPRESS.
Typically, well over 8000 students in government and non-government schools state wide submit a Body of Work for their artmaking component of the Visual Arts examination.
This CD-ROM was produced in response to questions asked each year by parents, students and teachers.
Inside ARTEXPRESS goes behind the scenes to look at:
- the history of ARTEXPRESS since its inception in the 1950s
- advice for aspiring exhibitors from the ARTEXPRESS Coordinator
- HSC marking and selection of works
- the challenges of mounting a coherent show from the curators' perspective
- the process of creating major artworks through interviews with students
- critiques of the work by art educators
- practical hints on packing and transporting artworks safely
- furture educational and professional opportunities in the visual arts
The CD-ROM also contains:
- an exhibition of artworks each annotated with an artist's statement
- an exploration of visual arts process diaries documenting the evolution of a body of work
- an education kit that examines and analyses the works of four successful students
- suggested classroom activities and student assignments, linked to syllabus outcomes
This ARTEXPRESS CD-ROM set is designed for computers running Microsoft Windows 98SE/ME/NT/2000/XP with 64MB+ RAM, or Apple MacOS 9 and MacOSX10.2+ with at least 32MB free RAM. Requires screen 800 x 600 set to at least thousands of colours. Requires QuickTime v6 which is included on the disc.
Inside ARTEXPRESS - Art Gallery of NSW website
The Art Gallery of NSW have developed a website exploring ARTEXPRESS.[Back to top]